Contact Arno Chrispeels for your Travel Insurance Quote today! Get A Quote

Long Term International Health Insurance Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

I would like to apply for a long term international Insurance plan, how can I do this?
The best way is to pick a plan that suits your needs from our “long term” page and get a quote, then apply on line. It’s fast and easy. You can also contact us or visit our general FAQ section if you need additional guidance or have more questions.

Can a US citizen obtain this insurance?
Yes, if the US citizen is residing outside the US for at least 6 months.

After applying for long term international medical insurance coverage, how long does it take to get approved?
Generally, you are approved within 5 to 7 business days from the date the application is received. You will receive your policy in the mail within 2-3 weeks from the date of approval unless you agree to pay an additional charge for overnight delivery, which will get the policy to you sooner.

Are faxed applications for Medical Insurance accepted?
My fax is gone, but you can scan and email, no problem.

I would like to purchase the policy, do you require payment before my application is approved?
Yes, our carriers accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express for monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual payments and personal checks are accepted on an annual basis only.

What are the costs to add dependent children on to the medical insurance plan?
If both parents/guardians are insured under an annual medical insurance plan, then the first two (2) children under the age of 10 are free with most plans. If you have more than two children under the age of 10, then there is a premium charge for the third child. If any of your children are above the age of 10, then there is a premium charge for such children. Please review the premium table for rates.

If I am a US expatriate who is currently living in Belgium and moving to Senegal, can I maintain my international medical insurance plan?
Yes, please notify the carrier of your address change.

I am currently enrolled in an international medical insurance plan, am I able to change my deductible?
Yes, only at the time of renewal, and you may only increase you deductible, not decrease.

Who is eligible for international health insurance?
Eligibility requirements differ for each plan, but in general anyone living outside their home country is eligible for international health insurance. Different plans have different allowances for returning to your home country, the short term plans are most strict on this, often expiring when you touch down on american soil, the long term plans include more “follow me home” coverage for trips back to your home country to visit with family and friends or take care of business. Some allow as much as 6 months of every year back in your home country.

How do I enroll for one of your plans?
The easiest and fastest way to enroll is online. Most long term plans require significant underwriting. While there are some plans that require little or no underwriting, so you won’t need a doctors statement, only a questionnaire, these plans can only be reapplied for for 2-3 years. Full medical benefit plans for 1 year or more, and that are renewable may require an attending physicians statement.

Where can I find a qualified doctor or hospital?
You can find in-network doctors and hospitals on their websites. They can generate a list based on your geographical location or even help you figure out a doctor in a place you have not yet arrived at. .

Otherwise, you can go to any doctor that you choose with any of our insurance plans. However, a higher contribution on your part might apply if you are IN the USA. Outside of the USA you may always go to any doctor you wish.

Who can I call if I am not clear about the coverage and benefits?
If you are unclear about your coverage and benefits, contact customer service. Our bilingual (spanish) staff will be more than happy to answer your questions and help you. Or, contact the insurance company, directly. The contact information of your insurance company is listed on your medical card.

My medical service provider (doctor, clinic or hospital) would like to verify what is covered by my insurance plan. Where can they call to verify coverage?

Simply give your medical insurance card to the service provider and ask him to call the customer service number on your card.

Do I have to pay the doctor or hospital?
Whether you pay the doctor or hospital depends on the procedure the doctor or hospital follows.

When visiting the doctor, you might be asked to pay the bill yourself. In such a case you should claim a refund from the insurance company. This is most typically the case when overseas outside of the USA.

In other cases, the medical service provider takes your medical information and contacts the insurance company’s claims department directly. This is more typically, but not always the case when in the USA.

I received medical treatment and paid the bill out of my pocket. How can I get the money back?To get your money back you will need to complete a claim form and mail it back to the claims department of your insurance company. Claim forms are available at our website. Simply find your insurance plan to get your copy of the insurance claim form.

I received a bill from the doctor / hospital! What should I do?
If you receive a bill from the doctor or hospital, fill in a claim form and mail the form with the original bill to the claims department of your insurance company.

For example, if you are covered by COMPASS Gold, you need to mail your claim form and your bills to the AIG claims department. Make sure to keep copies of everything for your own records.

How can I show a proof of insurance to my school , embassy or to get my visa?
Show proof of your student medical insurance to your school or to a government agency by presenting your medical insurance card.

You can also ask us directly to issue a Letter of Confirmation that provides information about your coverage. We can either mail it to you, fax it directly to your embassy or school or we can email it as an attachment.